September 13, 2012

A Little Bit of Rush Hour



One of my fiancĂ©'s favourite movies is Rush Hour, and it has since become one of mine as well. When we moved here, I had the sudden desire to watch the second movie in the trilogy again because it takes place in Hong Kong. A common sight in this city are the many bamboo sticks used for scaffolding like the ones on which Jackie Chan's character, Chief Inspector Lee, had to fight (see clip above). 


{The beginnings of bamboo scaffolding on Wing Lok Street in the Sheung Wan neighbourhood}
During one of our first walks exploring Hong Kong, we were in the trendy Soho neighbourhood when we witnessed a construction worker lose grip on a long bamboo stick that he was moving, which nearly knocked over a pedestrian in front of us. I am glad to say that the pedestrian was unharmed and we were smart enough to avoid that area of the street. Although a little nervous around construction workers with bamboo sticks now, I still admire how sturdy and how very "Hong Kong" they are. However, I think I would still prefer to admire them from my television screen with Jackie Chan in Rush Hour 2...


No comments:

Post a Comment