September 30, 2012

Mid-Autumn Festival

{Beautiful lantern display in Victoria Park}
The Mid-Autumn Festival is a cultural celebration that I have been familiar with since childhood. Seeing stores in Hong Kong stocked full with boxes of moon cakes, and shops decorated with colourful, intricate lanterns, I was brought back to a time when I was a little girl admiring my own lantern, glowing with the light from a small, red, wax candle. I would celebrate every year with my family by enjoying moon cakes and lighting incense, among other traditions associated with this festival
{A kaleidoscope of colourful lanterns that I passed under during a recent walk}
I had a chance to see how locals celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival in Hong Kong at Victoria Park in Causeway Bay. The entire area was lit up with bright lanterns, and it was bustling with happy families. People, both young and old, were enjoying the festivities such as a traditional Chinese opera performance from some adorable children, and were taking in the warm and welcoming atmosphere. It was such a wonderful sight to see and to experience for my fiancé and I, and the night really brought smiles to our faces.

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to everyone who is celebrating! 

--Ivy
{Children dressed up in traditional costumes, done up in dramatic make-up, and performing for the large crowd at Victoria Park}
{Lights strung across the park, interspersed with red, glowing lanterns}
{Everyone trying to capture a photo of the Fire Dragon Dance. This "dragon", made entirely of incense, was paraded on a street in Causeway Bay}

No comments:

Post a Comment