October 4, 2012

Sick At Home

{Currently living in my pink, polka dot slippers from UNIQLO}
What began as an annoying sore throat last Friday developed in to a head cold over the long weekend (we had a four-day weekend for the Mid-Autumn Festival and National Day), and has now become "early bronchitis", or so I was told by a doctor yesterday. I began working as an English kindergarten teacher last Monday, and from my experience during teacher's college, last year (I became ill four times in less than a year, two of the instances were bronchitis), I am not surprised to have fallen ill (again!). I have been told by senior teachers that it is common for many young teachers, especially ones without children, to often be sick within the first couple of years of work. I suppose that I will eventually develop some sort of immunity to most illnesses by then... At least, I sure hope so.

{My new favourite mug which will be housing hot milk tea while I am home, sick}
Luckily for me, my fiancĂ© has been wonderful this week, despite my extreme crankiness (I was super cranky!). He ran many errands this week, including some late-night trips to the pharmacy near our apartment for some cold/flu medicine for me, and has just been a sweetheart in general. I have officially been prescribed some rest, and I mustn't forget to mention that I also have four (yes, four) different types of pills that I must ingest at least 2-3 times daily. 

As I sit at home this weekend, curled up in my pj's and pink, polka dot slippers, I will be thinking of my Canadian friends and family who are celebrating Thanksgiving on Monday. I envy each and every one of you back home who will be lucky enough to be in a turkey coma while I suffer from a non-food related one. Okay, so I'm being a little dramatic, but still - turkey! Gah! Most apartments/homes in Hong Kong do not come with an oven, so turkey will have to wait until I am home in Canada.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving, friends (and family)!
--Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment