November 18, 2012

Sai Kung and Yim Tin Tsai

{Proudly representing Canada at the High Island Reservoir (seen behind me) during a professional development day with my teaching colleagues}
I recently had the opportunity to get to know my colleagues better while on a day-long outing that had us visit the High Island Reservoir, Sai Kung and Yim Tin Tsai village for our professional development day. The highlight of the trip for me was our visit to Yim Tin Tsai village formerly inhabited by Hakka people with whom I have a shared heritage (my father's family is Hakka Chinese). It was very interesting to see all of the houses in the village, abandoned, since most of the people just packed up and left after the salt farm that was supposed to bring promising work and profit did not, and so everyone left to find fortune elsewhere. Here is but only a fraction of the many photos that I snapped during that day.
{View at the High Island Reservoir}
{Lots of fresh seafood in Sai Kung for picking at the many restaurants in the town}
{Where my colleagues and I were treated to for lunch}
{Yim Tin Tsai Village sign}
{Front of some of the abandoned homes}
{Interior of an abandoned home}
{Many things were left behind such as the white shirt seen in this picture}
{Photos of a family that used to live in the village}
{Salt farm that is no longer in use} 
{Beautiful view on the way back to Sai Kung Town}

No comments:

Post a Comment